Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Shrimp and Grits


OK - I am Cajun by birth and Texan for life so lets face it.............this is as south as it gets folks! And what is one word that makes you think of the south?....................GRITS! Yum - I have grown up loving grits my entire life so I love that now it is acceptable to mix things in them and eat them for dinner and in public settings....haha. I am even now able to get my family to eat them so I can can pass on this southern tradition. ENJOY!

1 lb. medium size shrimp - cooked and peeled
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 cup quick cooking grits, uncooked
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
Green onion for garnish

Fry bacon until crispy and chop, reserving 1 tbsp bacon grease in sauce pan.

Saute onion in hot drippings over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add chicken broth and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in grits. Cook, stirring constantly 7-8 minutes or until smooth. Stir in shrimp and cheese and cook 1-2 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.

Garnish each serving with chopped green onions and bacon...............YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment